Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Week 6: Thing 13, 14, 15

Week 6: Thing 13
I did quite a bit of reading and exploring in this area. I set up a del.icio.us account and now understand the concept and how to set it up. I have a few bookmarked sites in three different categories and set up some of my own tags.The SJLibraryLearning2's bookmark site in del.icio.us was a good spot to explore the features of del.icio.us and also to encounter some great resources.

Week 6: Thing 14
I explored Technorati using the suggestions on the CSLA Web 2.0 site, searching "School Library Learning 2.0" in posts, in the blog directory, and in the tags. There were more hits searching within posts than within the blog directory. Using tags is more by chance -- you never know where the clicking on tags will lead. At times it was worthless other times I found it useful. I had to play around with the authority settings to understand the logic of the search results.

Week 6: Thing 15
I read the online article “Away from the Icebergs”. Rick Anderson uses the metaphor of a ship moving through icy waters to illustrate the risks libraries will encounter as they move their “ships” into the future. This was a very interesting read.

I also read “School Library 2.0: Say Goodbye to Your Mother's School Library". This article, from May 2006, also highlights practical uses of Web 2.0 technologies for the school library media teacher. Examples included book discussion blogs and ideas on how to use Web 2.0 features to get beyond the fixed/flexible scheduling problem. I am beginning to see the possibilities in using Web 2.0 resources to make it easier for students, parents, teachers, all library users to access information resources outside the walls of the library

No comments: